Wednesday, August 14, 2019

My Comment to Dutch Journalist’s Article about Walmart

Sometimes my old high school debate experiences from 50 years ago just “rear their angry head.” Today I read an opinion of Walmart written by a famous Dutch journalist who happens to live in the US. I did not like what she wrote, and here is my comment to her: 

August 14, 2019
Dear Ms. DeJong, 
Although my Dutch husband and I live in the US, he reads the NRC every single day. Today he ran across your abominable article about your impression of Walmart. As an American who lived (and sometimes still do live) in The Netherlands for almost 30 years, I also am able to read your opinion of one of the most important stores that I visit at least every other week. Thousands and thousands of Americans are happy to shop at Walmart.

To begin, where we live I have never seen a Walmart in a mall. There is always plenty of parking, and they even have begun an order and pick-up service for the convenience of customers who just do not have time for walking through the store. As for the exchange with the greeter, that is just what they are. Greeters! If you needed assistance finding what you needed (a simple sink stopper), you should have asked your question at the Service desk. Most folks I know just look for the general department and then ask an employee for help if they can not find what they want. Most Walmarts are huge and chock full of all sorts of items in all sorts of prices. I never thought of Walmart as being a “cheap” store. Actually The Netherlands does a far better job of “cheap” stores than where I live in the US.

Just as the unfortunate shoppers in El Paso, Texas, I do not feel afraid when shopping at my local Walmart. Or at any grocery store in the US as far as that goes. Instead of demeaning a grocery chain that is doing its best to provide necessities and more for all communities in the US, perhaps you should have written about the gun laws in the US that need to be changed to protect all people—including those with low hanging pants and bathrobes and slippers.

Linda 

4 comments:

Linda said...

She responded to my comment:
Dear Linda

I am sorry I hurt your feelings about a store you respect .

Best

Pia

https://piadejong.com

Joanne Noragon said...

Well, she certainly is some piece of work. Calls herself a journalist?

Wendy Bellino said...

I had a good laugh when I read her comment to you! Good grief!

Mike & Lyn said...

I wish I could read Dutch, so that I could read her article! I’ve never heard of a Walmart in a mall!