Sunday, February 22, 2015

Guten Morgen, Good Morning, Bonjour

YWhile waiting to take advantage of a sanitary stop this afternoon outside of Marrakesh, a nice tallkative German lady told me a long story about the toilet situation at our stop (I think). When I told her in English that I had no earthly idea what she was talking about, she and her friends proceeded to discuss the topic ( I think) and acted like I was part of the conversation. It was enough to make me chuckle, and they chuckled, too.

My hub and I are on a 7 day UNESCO culture tour of lovely Morocco. Our Moroccan tour guide doesn't speak English or Dutch, so Hub is my translator. We have only been in Morocco since 10:00 a.m., but I have heard a whole lot of German, since this is a German tour. 

When we signed up for this tour several months ago, we were promised an English or Dutch speaking tour guide. As we chose to join the tour group in Dusseldorf, Germany, our tour companions are all Duitsers who so far only speak German. 

Oh, the waiters and hotel staff will speak French to us, so that works for us. Although this evening at dinner my husband's best French was answered in English by the waiter.

So will it be "guten abend," "good evening," or just "bonsoir"?


4 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I think that would drive me crazy. lol Good luck! xo Diana

Carla from The River said...

LOL - Did you know I am learning German, with RosettaStone. Wish me luck and I will wish you luck ;-))

Anonymous said...

Ondanks de taal wens ik jullie een heel fijne trip!

Lieve groet,
Gerry

Mrs. Micawber said...

Yes, how do you say "good luck" in German? I will wish you instead bonne chance et bonnes vacances! Have a great time. :)