Saturday, August 3, 2019

Kouseband Bonen or Chinese Long Beans



Kouseband bonen in Nederlands.

Yesterday at my local Walmart I picked up a bunch of Chinese Long Beans. I really am not a huge fan of green beans, but thought I would Google these two feet green beans and find a recipe.

For years I have heard of “kouseband bonen,” but never had the nerve to buy a bunch and prepare them for our dinner vegetable. Well, I sauteed a small onion in olive oil in my largest wok. Added three sliced cloves of garlic. Then tossed in the loooong green beans. Added a good cup of vegetable broth and a shot of soy sauce and a good dab of sambal paste and lots of salt and pepper. Then decided to put the kitchen shears to the long green strands to make them manageable. After all that, I used a new pizza pan as lid and brought the whole thing to a good boil. I did not over cook the beans, since I really hate mushy beans. A good crunch always sounds healthier.

Kouseband bonen went just right with our leftover deer sausage ragu for spaghetti noodles. Who says you have to eat “normal” way out here in the sticks in southwest Louisiana?

Bet no one else around here had Chinese Long Bean for dinner tonight. 😋

😘Linda

2 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

I certainly did not. Hooray for the new pizza pan.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of them...never saw them...but then again, Lin, I never looked...LOL!...:)jp