Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Calf in the Demonstration Garden

Sorry to not have any photos of the most spectacular event of my morning at the Beauregard Parish Fair. (Too much rain water in the garden, was wearing my new Birkenstocks, and only had my iPhone camera.)

Here is what happened at the fair this morning: 

Today a couple of fellow Master Gardeners and I were enjoying watching pre-schoolers and their chaperones troup through the exhibition hall and stop off at our neighbor's (the beekeeper) stand and beehive display. 

One of my colleagues happened to glance outside to our flooded Master Gardeners' Demonstration Garden and noticed a commotion going on. As our fence to the garden was locked, and no one had passed us to go outside, she looked out to see who was tramping through the garden. 

Then she shouted, "George will be angry that a cow is crashing through his organic beds." She swung open the door just as a huge calf raced by being followed by someone grabbing at the rope. The calf would have nothing to do with being caught and pulled away at every tug. Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw an even larger bull being lead peacefully by a small female handler. The bull bellowed out to the young one to hold still and come back to the livestock corrals. 

It was difficult to keep from laughing, but I know there must be damage in the garden. Finally the bull helped corral the younger guy, and the excitement for the first day at the fair was over.

Later this morning, our official photographer said he had noticed hoof prints and wondered who had had a horse in the garden. Maybe tomorrow I will wear my boots and go out to inspect the damage.

And all this while George is on vacation!


3 comments:

Endah Murniyati said...

I think that's moment full of fun and pleasure...

Paulette said...

What a sight that must have been! I would not have been able to control myself and would have laughed out loud. Poor George's garden.

Jeannie Marie said...

You have such a way of telling it, no pictures are needed! Poor garden!