Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mastering Gardening

No Master Gardening class last night. I spent much of my day yesterday trying to master my gardening of the front flower bed. At the end of last summer the weeds (actually beautiful grass) took over the bed nearest our grapevines. The only way I could tackle the weeds was with my bare hands. I know the roots are still deep under the earth, but it looks better for now. We topped the beds off with red mulch, and Bob's Your Uncle! I just had to say that. Not sure if it means anything particular, but it sounds like closure. And closure it was, too. I was too tired to even walk the dog last evening. He was outside " hunting" most of the day, so he didn't miss the walk.

We had our Valentine's meal at lunch yesterday. Greasy Fried Chicken from Market Basket! We aren't chicken fans, but we like fried chicken once every couple of months. So yesterday was a good day for fried chicken. And no, I have never fried chicken. But I do make Meat Loaf. Here is Memaw's Just Plain Cooking recipe:

Meat Loaf (Memaw's)

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 can tomato sauce
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Soften bread crumbs in milk. Mix together ground beef, bread crumbs and milk mixture, 1/2 can tomato sauce, egg, onion, bell pepper, and salt and pepper. Mix well and shape in a loaf pan. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over meat loaf. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 1 hour or until done. Serves 4.

No comments: