Monday, February 13, 2012

Meatballs and Spaghetti

Now that I have the attention of certain family members, I just want to remind you all that I am hand typing each of these recipes from Memaw's handwritten Just Plain Cooking book. I won't be giving away her handwritten cookbook. If you want her handwritten copy of a certain recipe, you had better ask her.

I always heard from my mom (Memaw) that she learned to make meatballs from her mother-in-law. So this must be the recipe. If anyone can prove otherwise (ask Memaw), I still have some silicone bakeware that no one has claimed.

Meat Balls and Spaghetti (Memaw's)

Meat balls

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
1 toe garlic (minced)
1 egg
2 slices bread
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Put meat, garlic, egg, salt, pepper, and bread that has been dipped into water and squeezed into a bowl and mix well. I use my hands to mix. Shape into balls the size of golf balls. Brown balls in skillet. Brown on all sides. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Sauce

1 jar Ragou sauce with mushrooms
1 onion (sliced thin)
1 bell pepper ( sliced thin)
1 can tomato sauce
salt and pepper

Brown onions and pepper in skillet that meat balls were cooked in. Drain off all fat. Add spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Return meat balls to skillet with sauce. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes. If sauce is too thick, add a little water. Serve over cooked spaghetti.

The following Italian Style Pasta Sauce recipe was found on Contadina's recipe site. I was looking for the sauce recipe that I thought Memaw said she always used. I could not find it. This will have to do until I find what I am searching for or post my hub's yummy recipe.

ITALIAN STYLE PASTA SAUCE

  • Prep Time: 6 min
  • Cook Time: 35 min
  • Total Time: 41 min
  • Additional Considerations:
  • Makes 8 Servings

Ingredients
  • 28 oz. Contadina® Crushed Tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup carrot shredded
  • 1/2 cup celery sliced
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper; red pepper flakes crushed
  • 1/4 cup whipping cream
  • pasta hot and cooked

Instructions

1. Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.

2. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook 3 minutes or until tender.

3. Add tomatoes, basil and crushed red pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cook stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.

4. Add cream and simmer 1 to 2 minutes. DO NOT BOIL. Serve over pasta
.


No comments: