Friday, February 8, 2013

Just Checking In

Everyone knows our beagle Flip is spoiled, but few know how clever he really is.

Trying to be the half way clean homemaker, I spray Flip down with plain water whenever he comes home muddy. And that is quite often during this rainy weather! If I just gave him a good shower, that should be enough. But I do the whole drying off bit with "Flip's" towels. Who wants a wet dog in the house, right?

Well, yesterday it dawned on me that all the shower stuff should be at the end of the day.

Here is what happened: Flip had been "hunting" outside since around 7:30 a.m. When he showed up really muddy around noon, I grabbed the front porch hose and towel and cleaned him up. While I was putting up the hose and turning off the water, he escaped! Right back into the woods! I was astonished and felt pretty stupid for taking the time to clean him up for his next adventure in the woods.

Actually he pulled a similar trick on me a couple of days ago. That time it was late afternoon, and I let him outside to "take care of his business." He made a beeline to the forest! We did not see him again until evening.

So this morning at 9:45 I was ready for his scheme. When he came to the mudroom door shaking and quaking, I opened the door. Then I stepped outside, picked off two ticks, and he turned his back to me and ran off down the gravel road. He looked back twice to see if I was outside (I was), and then he jumped into the pine forest.

Guess all this time he was just "checking in." What a good ( muddy) doggie!

No comments: