Monday, May 21, 2012

My Favorite Cookie

I had completely forgotten about this cookie until I turned to the recipe today. Maybe Memaw made lots of chocolate chip cookies, but I actually remember this as my favorite. She always had these ingredients on the shelf, especially the peanut butter! Story goes that when I was very young I often preferred a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to steak. Probably still do!

Chocolate Nutbutter Cookies (Memaw's)

2 cups sifted flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter (chunky)
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
Cream together shortening, peanut butter, and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
Blend in dry ingredients alternately with milk. Blend thoroughly.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Press with fork to flatten or form a lattice design.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 8-9 minutes. Do not over bake. Cookies are still soft when done.

No comments: