Friday, June 1, 2012

Goals

Recently a friend asked how I can find something to write about every single day.

In the first place, I have been eager to write for almost 40 years. Now I have the time. Our trusty beagle wakes me every morning at precisely 7:00 am to be let outside. After that, I am up for the day. As my hub is a laaaate sleeper, I have plenty of quiet time to do whatever I want from weeding the flowerbeds to writing on my iPad.

Most days I write. When I took on the goal to publish my mom's recipes, that gave me even more incentive to write regularly. Our life out here in the country is not so exciting, but we like it that way. We lived in the country back in The Netherlands, and our nearest neighbor was repeatedly asking me if it wasn't too quiet or boring out there. Maybe we should have gotten a dog back then. I would have had a 20 year head start on my writing.

Let's jump out of season. Today I have a recipe for Gingerbread Men from Just Plain Cooking:

Gingerbread Men (Memaw's)

4 1/2 cups flour
1 cup quick oats
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 tablespoons vinegar

In a large bowl, stir together flour, oats, soda, and spices.
In a large mixer bowl, beat shortening and sugar until fluffy.
Add eggs, molasses, and vinegar and beat well.
Cover and chill for 3 hours or overnight.
Divide dough into thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll each 1/3 dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into gingerbread men or other desired shapes.
Place 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheet.
Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 5 to 6 minutes. Cool 1 minute then remove to a wire rack.
Makes 30 cookies.

No comments: