Monday, September 17, 2012

Chocolate Cream Pie

Great lawn and gardening bargains at Dollar General today!

At the end of summer gardening, I always find little cotton garden gloves for about 30 cents each. That is so cheap that I just toss them after they get really grungy and dirty. Guess you could call them my disposable garden gloves.

I also found big plastic (cotton backed) orange tablecloths for $1.00 each. I never have enough of those to protect our old wooden tables when we have family or friends over to eat. I just cover the table with the plastic cloth and then top it with placemats or a pretty cotton tablecloth. Voila! No water rings!

The last real bargains were the short green wire fences that we use to protect our baby boxwood plants along our walkpath up the front lawn. They were $1.30 each, and I only found five left in the box. So I bought them all. That won't make it all the way down to the little lane to our house, but I don't have enough plants to do that either.

Before I go get one of those good chocolate cupcakes from Sunday night, here is a PIE recipe.

Chocolate Cream Pie (Memaw's)

3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt
1 baked 9 inch pie shell

Separate eggs. Set aside.
Mix sugar, flour, cocoa, salt, and milk in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it begins to thicken. Stir constantly to prevent scorching.
Slightly beat egg yolks. Stir in small amount of pudding mixture into egg yolks. Then blend egg yolks into pudding mixture, stirring constantly.
Add butter and cook one minute.
Take off heat and add vanilla.
Pour into baked pie shell and top with meringue.
Brown in a hot oven for about 3 to 5 minutes.

No comments: