Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Not the Upper Crust

I am beginning the pie section of Just Plain Cooking today. The time of the year seems appropriate, since pies make me think of Fall. I know that Memaw cheats on the pie crust by using either the Walmart or Pillsbury boxed kind, but she does have a recipe for the "real" thing in her cookbook. I have used it often, since the boxed pie crusts were not available in The Netherlands when Ilived there. Prolly ( my son's text spelling for probably) still can't buy them in NL.

Let the PIES begin:

Pastry for One 9 Inch Pie (Memaw's)

1 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
3 tablespoons cold water

Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Sprinkle with water. Mix with fork. Round into ball. Roll out 1 inch larger than pan. Ease into pan. Flute edges. For baked pie shell, prick with a fork. For unbaked shell, DO NOT PRICK.

No comments: