Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My Favorite Place Is the Internet

It wasn't until recently that I could name myself an addict. I don't smoke (never even lit up a cigarette!), and I don't drink. Even having lived through the hippie times, I never tried drugs. My blood pressure meds are about a strong as it gets, and now I have to keep track when I take them. So the addiction is really obvious. I am addicted to the Internet and, in particular, Pinterest.

It isn't really strange that I would like Pinterest, since I am a great collector. Our house is just full of my collections. More about those in the future. On Pinterest I can collect lots of things and ideas without having to make space for them. I just add them to my Boards and keep looking. In just a couple of months time I have amassed almost 3,000 "pins" and over 40 followers of my pin collections. Some followers are as far away as Denmark, Iceland, and Spain. I know only a handful of my followers and the more than 70 people I am following. We just have common interests such as good food and DIY projects.

But I am addicted to the Internet. Perhaps I should call it the "Interestnet." Now
Just Plain Cooking My Style :

Creamy Baked Polenta

Makes 4 servings
Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Total preparation time: 55 minutes

1 cup yellow cornmeal or regular (not instant) coarse polenta
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
2 ounces provolone cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated (about 2/3 cup)

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Combine 4 cups water, the cornmeal, butter, salt, and pepper in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, on the top shelf of the oven for 40 minutes.

Remove the polenta from the oven, give it a stir, and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove it from the oven; stir in the provolone and salt and pepper to taste; let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve topped with Parmigiano-Reggiano.

No comments: