Sunday, July 28, 2013

Don't Flush Those Toilets!

My all time favorite blog post is called Flush Those Toilets! I don't know if people are just intrigued or what. But at least I wrote about that pink scum that loves to take a vacation in our bathrooms, especially during the summer months. If you are too lazy with your cleaning, it will take over. I even saw some creeping into Flip's water dish in the garage. What do we feed our doggies? Shame, shame!

But today I want to tell you how to gross out your guests, like we surely did.

When we lived in The Netherlands, we lived in a very old Dutch farmhouse. We remodeled it during the almost 20 years that we lived in it, but there is one thing we did not really think about in the remodeling. 

Before we moved into the "rustic" dwelling, we added central heating and a "real" bathroom upstairs. The central heating was wonderful, but we overlooked the fact that the new bathroom was located directly over our bedroom closet. When you flushed the upstairs toilet, the water and whatever else rushed down the drainage pipe almost over our heads. What a noise! Especially in the middle of the night!

It wasn't unusual for us to kindly ask that guests sleeping upstairs please refrain from "flushing" after we had gone to bed. I have never seen such shocked looks on people's faces. It was almost like we had requested that they go out to the outhouse by the chicken coop (or wherever the original outhouse had been located).

Now let's see if this blog post gets as much traffic.

3 comments:

Mrs. Micawber said...

I know someone who, in the interests of economy and water conservation, takes a twofer approach and waits until the second use to push the lever....

Linda said...

HaHaHaHa..we were worried about noise pollution. We are not that "conservative" or thrifty. Hats off to whatever rocks their boat. I even rinse my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher. ;)))))

Wendy Bellino said...

Laughing!