Tuesday, September 17, 2013

What In the World are They Watching?

(And we will never know what they were watching. Today I did find a postcard for the
Winter Olympics in 1936. Maybe that is the answer.)

Yes, I am still sorting through family photos and such.




















This photo of my hub's grandmother and grandfather as spectators in the snow, makes me laugh. It looks like the other spectators are having a good time, too.  Or maybe they just want to look good for the photographer.

What could they possibly be watching? Freezing and covered with snowflakes! The only sensible couple are sitting on the front row of the bleachers covered with blankets.

And notice the snow on the mountains in the background.

We date this photo somewhere in the 1930's and possibly in Germany. Oma and Opa were known to be travelers, and Oma sometimes traveled alone to enjoy the Bads (baths) and to spend Opa's money.

When I found this miniature photo, I could hardly see any faces and identified someone else as Oma. Then I saw Opa, and I knew I had made a mistake.

This photo cools me and tickles me on this hot September afternoon.


(I am partying with TimeTravelThursday on The Brambleberry Cottage Blog at http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/2013/09/time-travel-thursday-166-talented-time.html)

7 comments:

Paulette said...

Where in the photo are the grandparents sitting? It truly is a wonderful photo.

Linda said...

Three rows up(or down), toward the right. The two with the "fluffy" faces. Oma is sitting behind seat # 59. Linda

Linda said...

Winter Olympics 1936 in Garmisch, Germany? Could be.

Paulette said...

I found her! What a wonderful smile she has.

Linda said...

HaHa! My hub's grandma is sitting to the right of the smiling lady with the beret. No smile on her face or her spouse's. But thanks for being so kind. Linda

Mrs. Micawber said...

Watching a ski jump competition?

Or outdoor curling?

I love all the fur collars - they look so cosy.

Catherine said...

What an interesting and surprising photo! Very interesting.