Sunday, June 23, 2013

Full Strawberry Moon on Dad's 90th Birthday

According to the Old Farmers' Almanac, "The month of June's full Moon's name is the Full Strawberry Moon. June's Full Strawberry Moon got its name because the Algonquin tribes knew it as a signal to gather ripening fruit."

For the moon to be closer to the earth and look about 12% larger on June 23, 2013 (my dad's 90th birthday) seems appropriate to me. Since my father's death in 1998, I feel closest to him when the moon is at its fullest.  Here is the reason why:

When we were notified by my dear brother that our father had passed on 3 October 1998, my hub and I quickly organized our flight from Amsterdam to Houston. The following morning the three of us were on the plane and headed to be with my mother and the rest of the family. 

Our flight was uneventful, and we arrived on time as expected. With a four hour drive ahead of us, we wasted no time renting a car and getting started. Along the way, we stopped at a giant shopping center and purchased a respectable jacket and pants for our 14 year old son to wear to his Pappaw's funeral. 

Before our four hour drive was over, night had come. The last hour of our ride we seemed to have a guide. A most beautiful full moon hung right before us over the country road.  Having had such a long, tiring trip, we were glad to have some help guiding us along. I guess that full moon was our GPS. 

Since that time, I have felt that full moons are something special. Special to me anyway, since I feel that my father is looking over me.

Happy Birthday, Daddy

By the way, when we traveled those southwest Louisiana country roads on Monday, October 5, 1998, there was a Full Moon. Thanks to http://www.calendar-12.com/moon_calendar/1998/october 


2 comments:

Hindustanka said...

Happy Birthday to you lovely Dad!:) Those who go are always in our hearts...

I like the "Full Strawberry Moon" name!

Linda said...

Thank you for your kind words. I like the "Full Strawberry Moon" name, too. Wish I could grow strawberries.