Sunday, June 2, 2013

Summer Ache

Well it is June, and I am "under the weather." 

My dear mom and I have been spending a lot of time together the last weeks, and I picked up her congestion problem. Her doctor calls it pertussis or whooping cough, but I call it "the pits." I have had a slight fever (on and off), wheezing chest, sore throat, drippy nose, and a dry, congested cough. 

"The Pits."

I am still up with Flip every morning at 7:00 a.m., and then I drag around the rest of the day. Yesterday I went outside after lunch to check out the weed situation with my veggie garden. As we were away last weekend, the warm rains have gotten ahead of me as far as weeds are concerned. My hub told me to "scoffel" the weeds before we went away, but I did not heed his warning. So yesterday I pulled up old arugula, lettuce, and weeds until the rows between my raised beds were covered with compost. Luckily my favorite yard guy (Hub) cleaned up my mess today.

My tomato plants are huge and lush. I waited too late to put on my tomato cages, but we forced the "buxom" beauties into the cages anyway late yesterday evening. The whole time that I was crying that we were ruining my plants, my hub was saying we were not. He was right. After last night's rain, they look wonderful and as perky as ever.  

My niece in Germany asked for photos of the garden, but she has to wait until I feel better and can spruce up the beds. Right now it looks like they need a "Master Gardener." ;)))


1 comment:

Paulette said...

Love to eat fresh from the garden veggies, but disliked the weeding process and up keep of a garden. I now just mooch garden ready produce from my friends.