Friday, December 21, 2012

Chocolate Fillers Recipe

I have too many cans of sweetened condensed milk in the pantry. Some are slipping by the Sell By date, so it is time to use 'em or throw 'em out. As I hate to waste food items, I have learned to be creative lately. Yesterday I opened another "overaged" can of sweetened milk and discovered a lovely golden colored cream. Tasted delicious, but I thought I had better be safe and cook it in some dessert. So I grabbed the nearest chocolate chip package, and this yummy recipe was on the bag.

Chocolate Fillers  (Log House Foods)

3/4 cup Butter or Margarine, softened
1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup Quick Cooking Oats
1 can (14 ounces) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup Log House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter with brown sugar and salt. Blend in flour and oats until particles are fine. Press about 2/3 of mixture into bottom of greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Heat condensed milk in saucepan. Stir in chips. Spread over mixture in pan. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs; press down lightly. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until light golden brown. Makes one 13 x 9 inch pan.

(A couple of changes I made: I melted the unsalted butter in the microwave. I mixed the butter and brown sugar and salt with a fork. No mixer used! I added the flour and regular oats (I like to see what I am eating!) and continued with the fork. When I got to the heating of  the sweetened condensed  milk, I put it in a plastic bowl and popped it into the microwave for 30 seconds. Then I added the chocolate chips and zapped that combo another 30 seconds. With a good stir, that layer was ready. My crumbs for the top were more like globs, but they still baked up fine. Yummy, yummy.)


miniviper said...

You should use the condensed milk to make this ==> So good!

Sissy said...

"a plastic bowl and popped it into the microwave"
Plastic and microwave is a health hazard waiting to happen. The fillers look scrumptious; I'll use glass, thank you.

Linda said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sissy. You are right, plastic and microwaves don't mix! Have a great day! Linda