Monday, April 16, 2012

Snakes and Fluffy Cajuns

Let's begin with the snake. Flip usually warns us when he has found something interesting. Barking and circling are his warnings. Two days ago I decided to check out what he had found, but actually I knew I did not want to know. After two dead and mutilated armadillos last week, I figured that was enough for me.

He and I often take a short walk around the pond even before our neighbors start moving in the morning. But on Saturday I wasn't really too interested. The mosquitoes are still rampant and putting on armor for a short walk is not much fun. But I suited up anyway and did a little weedeating (or rather weed cutting) around our agaves. Then the barking and circling started out next to our gravel road. I knew he had found something and wanted to show me, but I was reluctant to go see what. As I walked closer to Flip, I thought "snake." And, yes, I was right. There was a medium size dark snake with stripes curled up in the tall grass along the road. I didn't stop to see what markings it had, since all snakes are dangerous to me. I shouted for Flip to stay away and follow me, and he did. We usually see about one snake per month, so this was the one for April! (Alert: Frantic barking by the compost heap. Sent Hub out to see what is all the commotion. It was something in the forest!)

Now for Fluffy Cajun's recipes in Memaw's Just Plain Cooking :

Cajun Meat Loaf by Paul Prudhomme

2 whole bay leaves
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup catsup
2 pounds ground beef
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup fine bread crumbs

In a small bowl, combine spices and set aide.

In a 1-quart sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, celery, green peppers, green onions and garlic, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and combined seasonings. Sauté mixture until it starts sticking excessively, stirring occasionally and scraping bottom of pan.

Stir in milk and catsup. Continue cooking about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Place ground meat in an ungreased 13 x 9 inch pan. Add eggs, cooked vegetables and bread crumbs. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined. In the center of the pan, shape mixture into loaf about 12 x 6 x 1 1/2 inches. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Raise heat to 400 degrees F and continue cooking until done (about 35 minutes longer).

Serve immediately. Serves 6.

(Excuses to Paul Prudhomme for calling him "fluffy." I actually admire him for everything he has done to make Cajun food so international, as well as delicious!)




No comments: