Saturday, April 21, 2012

Tried It.

Yesterday I tried my version of Memaw's Tamale Pie.

Instead of cooking the cornmeal on top of the stove, I did a Sara Moulton polenta in the oven. Super easy and delicious with added cheese. I used one small can of tomatoes with chilis instead of one of the cans of tomatoes (and significantly reduced the chili powder!). We ate the tamale pie and drank lots of water. Wow, was it ever hot and spicy! When I make this again, I will not substitute anything except the polenta. I am sure that is the best way to cook that mush. We also had fresh Swiss chard out of our veggie garden. Cooked it like spinach, and it was excellent and healthy.

My last batch of Greek yoghurt was grainy and stringy, so I am looking forward to trying that again to see if I can get it right like the first time. I am eating the imperfect yoghurt anyway, since with cereal you can't really tell the difference. And it tastes excellent, just looks and feels funny.

What about hamburgers today in Just Plain Cooking?

Hamburger Steaks (Memaw's)

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck or ground round beef
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Blend pepper into the ground beef. Shape into 4 steaks about 1 inch thick and the size of your hand. Heat and sprinkle salt into a large heavy skillet. Do not add extra fat for frying. Brown steaks in hot skillet. Brown on both sides. Turn heat down so steaks will cook to desired doneness without burning. Add mushrooms to skillet so they can sauté while steaks finish cooking--about 5 to 10 minutes.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you used to write fantastic, but the last few posts have been kinda
boring... I miss your tremendous writings. Past several
posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

Linda said...

Anyone who reads a blogpost that I wrote over six years ago and will not identify themselves can F... Off! I write for myself and not for some “invisible” idiot. 😡Linda