Wednesday, April 18, 2012

What an Idea!

Before I went to sleep last night I thought of something good to write about in this blog. I did not write it down, so there you are. Forgotten!

I could write about my dreams (Russell Brand was dating a relative or I had to repack the back seat of our old Mercedes station wagon three times and connect it to the front seat of the car or I was ordering some bizarre jewelry from someone whose business was bankrupt for over a year), but who would be interested in any of that? So I will just stick with Just Plain Cooking today and then go out for some gardening.

Hot Tamale Pie (Memaw's)

6 cups boiling water
2 cups corn meal
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 pound hamburger meat
1 chopped onion
1/2 chopped green pepper
2 cups canned tomatoes
2 teaspoons chili powder
Salt and pepper

Sift corn meal slowly into rapidly boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook 15 minutes. This will get very thick.

Brown hamburger meat, onions, and green peppers in hot oil. Add tomatoes. Season to taste. Simmer 10 minutes.

Fill well-oiled baking pan with alternate layers of cornmeal mush and meat mixture.

Bake in hot oven 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
You may add 1 cup grated cheddar cheese over the pie the last 10 minutes of baking time.

(Think I will use my oven polenta instead of the cornmeal mush. Will let you know how this works.)

No comments: