Saturday, July 7, 2012

Homemade Desserts

Back in the late 1980's we moved to Zoeterwoude.

As my Dutch hub was convinced that we should invite our new neighbors for coffee and cake, I decided to do something American and make my own cake. Now Dutch bakeries are fabulous, but back 25 years ago they had a limited cookie and cake selection. So I thought I would offer our guests something typically American. I guess I should have tried chocolate chip cookies, but chips were hard to come by back then. Thus I made Pineapple Upside Down Cake. That is surely a 1950-1960's specialty!

What did our neighbors think of my cake? Who remembers? I just remember that my hub didn't have much faith in my baking skill and was worried that they would not appreciate something "homemade." ( Years later I baked King Cakes for all the neighbors on 6 January, and one neighbor said that if I started a bakery that she would buy from me.)

Here is Memaw's recipe for the pineapple upside down cake:

Pineapple Upside Down Cake (Memaw's)

2 1/4 cup flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup milk
2 unbeaten eggs

Topping:
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 medium size can sliced pineapple
Maraschino cherries

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Add shortening, 2/3 cup milk, and vanilla. Beat vigorously for 2 minutes. Use spoon or electric mixer at low speed.
Add 1/3 cup milk and eggs. Continue beating for 2 minutes. Set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in a deep 9 inch oven safe skillet.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over melted butter in the skillet and stir over low heat until sugar is melted and lightly caramelized.
Arrange 7 or 8 slices of canned pineapple on top of caramelized sugar in skillet. Put maraschino cherries in holes of pineapple.
Pour half of cake batter over the pineapple slices.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until cake shrinks from the side of the skillet.
Turn out at once. (Just put a plate upside down on top of the cake in the skillet and then flip it over so the plate is facing up. Lift off the skillet and do any repair work. It should look beautiful and as good as any bakery!)
Makes 6 to 8 servings. Good served warm with whipped cream.

Memaw says to make cupcakes out of remaining cake mixture. (What about making a second pineapple upside down cake? I think they taste even better the next day!)

No comments: