Monday, July 23, 2012

White Cake

While I wait for Antiques Roadshow to come on tv, I will do what I needed to do this morning. Where did the day go?

As I have "perfected" my homemade Greek yoghurt, I am giving bread making a try again.

Two summers ago I tried to get the hang of it, but mastering No Knead Bread is definitely an art I can't quite grasp. So I am trying again this summer. After two different recipes and throwing out old yeast, I will try again tomorrow. The dough has spent a couple of hours in a warm closet, so if I can just get it to cooperate, tomorrow we will have baguettes for breakfast.

Now for some green cake with chocolate chips and almonds. (Made that on Saturday with pistachio pudding and a yellow cake mix.)

No, I mean here is the recipe for White Cake:

White Cake (Memaw's)

1/2 cup shortening
2 1/2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
5 egg whites ( beaten with 1/2 cup sugar at high speed to form meringue)

Beat shortening at medium speed until fluffy.
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Add to shortening, alternating with milk. Start and finish with dry ingredients. Beat 2 minutes.
Add egg whites. Beat 1 minute at low speed.
Pour batter into two 9 inch round pans which have been greased and floured.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until done.
Frost with white , chocolate, or coconut icing.

No comments: