Monday, October 1, 2012

Memaw's Pecan Pie Recipe

My men love pecan pie! Although the recipe for pecan pie is on the side of the Karo syrup bottle, I use Memaw's recipe. And I try to use real Karo syrup, too.

Many, many years ago I sent my Dutch hub to a tiny New York City grocery store to buy Karo syrup.  He was there on a business trip (and I was jealous), and he actually had a longer list of "American" food to buy for me.  But I remember that he said that he gave the clerk in the store my list and let her look for the items. A Dutchman would never find a bottle of Karo syrup! (I could write a book about what he can not find, ha ha!)

Pecan Pie (Memaw's)

1 cup sugar
1 cup Karo syrup
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter (melted)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecans (broken)
1 unbaked pie crust

Combine sugar and flour in mixing bowl.
Add syrup, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Blend well.
Stir in pecans and pour into unbaked pie crust.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes.

Charley's Sweet Potato Pie (Memaw's)

1 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar, or less if desired
1/3 cup milk or half-half
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

Combine all ingredients except pie shell. Blend well with electric mixer.
Pour into pie shell.
Bake in preheated oven 400 degrees F about 30 minutes or until golden and puffy.
Serve alone or with whipped cream.

Melva's Sweet Potato Pie (Memaw's)

1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

Mix all ingredients, beating well.
Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 400 degrees F until golden and puffy.
Serve with whipped cream.




No comments: